Tuesday 7 October 2014

#108 Read an Arthur Miller Play




"Every man does have a star. The star of one's honesty. And you spend your  life groping for it, but once it's out it never lights again...I live in the usual darkness I can't find myself; It's even hard sometimes to remember the kind of man I wanted to be" Jim

I finished 'All my Sons' last night, after prolonging it for the past month. I've been a bit lazy with my reading lately, considering how much free time I've had for the past few weeks, but I'm glad I made time for this play.

I've been watching a lot of Mad Men too, which I think resonates with the America which Arthur Miller portrays, especially when considering how masculine the world appears, despite both stories use of strong female characters. I thought it was interesting that in the introduction to the play it is noted that, the character of Chris Keller was based on a real woman from a story Miller had originally heard from his mother in law. Miller changed this "because I didn't know much about girls then.".

The story itself does that wonderful thing of bringing making the audience question their decisions, and draws you in pretty intensely by the second half. I won't give away too much but the story starts quite innocently, yet still profoundly, at the house of an American family who've lost their son in the war, it then shifts into a complicated tale of law, family and truth.

"he had ripped apart the structures that support life and society...He has killed the possibility of a society having any future, any life." Arthur Miller

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-55178825-1